Day 25 – Winnemucca – Royal Gorge – Tahoe Vista


Dragged myself out of the motel a bit after 9 – could have slept all day. Temps still only in the 20’s and clear but a bit overcast. Uneventful drive through to Reno and by then the sun was out. Up to Royal Gorge and by the time I got there I could easily have not bothered skiing, but seeing as I’m here …. Did about 10 km – plenty of climbing again but snow was hard packed and pretty fast. The most notable feature was the temp – up to about 40F – heat wave. I think it’s the first positive temps since I passed over Donner Summit on my first day.

The big issue of the day is the approaching storm systems – 3 of them lined up to come through over 3 days and talk of dropping up to 8 ft of snow in the Sierras. Sounds great except I need to leave here Fri morning and drive all day to get to LA and my flight home. And It’s not just the mountains – there’s forecasts of winds approaching hurricane force and heavy rain – and not just in the high mountains. A few quotes from the National Weather Service forecast:

WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 80 TO 100 MPH WITH
GUSTS NEAR 145 MPH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY
AFTERNOON.

ATTEMPTING TO TRAVEL IN THE SIERRA ON FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT IS
STRONGLY DISCOURAGED AND POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING.

THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT
CONDITIONS…MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE. DO
NOT TRAVEL. IF YOU MUST…HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF
YOU GET STRANDED…STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

OK so call me a wimp, but I’m getting out of here – will head part way to LA tomorrow and stay at some forgettable town in the valley – might hopefully make it to the coast Friday and watch some of the 30 ft waves roll in. So today MAY have been the last of the skiing – rain forecast toimorrow before the snow starts and I can ski in rain anytime – will have to wait and see.

This entry was posted in 2007 / 08 USA skiing. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *